Saturday 6 November 2010

Chosen Genre

Genre
I have decided to combine two genres within our short film as it will primarily be a drama with elements of thriller. I have researched definitions of each genre below and then written my own, explaining what each means to me.
Drama: Drama is a film genre that depends mostly on in-depth development of realistic characters dealing with emotional themes. Dramatic themes such as alcoholism, drug addiction, racial prejudice, religious intolerance, poverty, crime and corruption put the characters in conflict with themselves, others, society and even natural phenomena.
I think the essence of a good drama film is one that portrays a strong sense of realism, through its choice of actors, locations, costumes, props and narratives. Realism enhances the viewing experience for audiences because it allows them to become more involved within the narrative, feeling emotions such as sympathy for the characters. I like drama films that challenge the traditional conventions expected of their genre and that challenge us as viewers because I feel it allows audiences to be mentally stimulated, keeping them interested and involved whilst giving them something to think about when the film is over. Examples of dramas that I feel challenge stereotype are 'Slumdog millionaire', 'The Godfather' and 'Schindler's list'.

Thriller: Thriller is a genre of literature, film and television that uses suspense, tension and excitement as the main elements. Thrillers are mostly characterised by an atmosphere of menace, violence, crime and murder by showing society as dark, corrupt and dangerous, though they often feature a happy ending in which the villains are killed or arrested. Thrillers heavily promote on literary devices such as plot twists, red herrings and cliffhangers. They also promote on moods, such as a high level of anticipation, adrenaline rush, arousal, ultra-heightened expectation, uncertainty, anxiety and sometimes even terror. The tones in thrillers are usually gritty, slick and lurid.
For me personally, I enjoy psychological thrillers with complex narratives leaving the audience guessing right until the end. I find the use of red herrings very effective because the most obvious suspects within a thriller are the estranged, eccentric and often ostracised characters of whom the narrative is sometimes based around. One of my favourite actors within thriller films is 'Johnny Depp' because he often depicts the crazed lonely main character, in films such as 'Sweeny Todd', 'The secret window' and 'Edward Scissor-Hands'.

Although these are the two main film genres my film will come under, I am going to combine some narrative and stylistic conventions of social realism, as I want to provoke controversy and emotion from my audience, as I believe these are the films that are most important and remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment