Saturday 6 November 2010

Social Realism

Social realism is a genre that I feel relates to British New wave, as essentially it is the more contemporary version, depicting the gritty issues working class people face but in a much more blunt, vivid way as film making has progressed considerably over the years.
This is a genre I will be able to draw inspiration from when creating our film, as the thing I like about social realism is the blunt, harsh portrayal of reality as I don't like to rose tint.
I found an interesting video on youtube from a BBC series called 'film forever' with celebrities expressing their views on that episodes film genre 'social realism'. The video is posted below.



This video has allowed me to see what it is about social realism audiences enjoy which will be useful for creating my own short film as I agreed with many of their perceptions, about enjoying being challenged, irritated and often distressed yet a sense of satisfaction from the strong reality portrayal.

No comments:

Post a Comment