Wednesday 10 November 2010

Photoshop skills

During our course we are being taught how to use photoshop effectively and professionally, in order to help us create the required elements to go with our short film; movie poster and review page. Here I have demonstrated the skills I have acquired so far and the tools I have learnt to use in each of the three lessons we have had.

Text tool:I have been shown how to use this tool and the effects that can be created with it. Firstly through using this tool you can adjust basic features of your text, such as the font, size and colour allowing me to create the desired effect when adding text to my poster or review page. With sizing I also know how to manipulate certain letters within the text making them different colours or each letter a different size, which I may chose to do so for emphasis or effect. I also know how to add effects to the text, such as embossing the text to give a 3D effect and make it appear standing off the page or how to add a 'glow' behind the whole text or certain letters, which would be useful for drawing attention to key words or phrases. The spacing of the characters is another thing I have been taught, allowing certain characters to be further apart or closer together than others. Finally in terms of text I also know how to manipulate the texts alignment, whether I chose to make it vertical, horizontal etc.

Burn tool:
The burn tool gradually darkens certain parts of the image, by clicking and dragging in small motions I can effectively add shadow or gradual darken to one part of the picture rather than putting an effect on the whole image. This will allow me to make my image look more realistic, by perhaps adding dark contours to peoples faces or creating an eerie effect on parts of the image. I have also learnt how to adjust the level of the burn tool, so I can alter how dark and how opaque the colour is, as well as how big the area is I cover by changing the size of the burn tool.

Variation tool:I have learnt how to use the variation tool, which will allow me to alter the colour balance of the image through its tones, so I can choose my levels of shadow, highlight and mid-tone. This will allow me to create my desired effect on the image, possibly with high levels of shadow for a dark, depressive atmosphere or with highlights to add emphasis. The mid-tones will mean I can balance out the effects if I don't want a harsh contrast, creating a much more realistic and natural effect. On the variation tool I also know how to saturate or de-saturate the colour balance of the image, saturation enhancing the colours and desaturation washing out the image and drawing out the colours so I can ensure my poster or review page is as effective as possible.

Sponge tool:The sponge tool gradually desaturates the image, but instead of altering the whole image it is used by hand to individually desaturate certain parts, which I could use for a faded effect on key features of my poster/ review page. Much like the burn tool, I know how to alter how much area I cover by changing the size of the sponge tool as well as changing how opaque and bold it is, so I can create a very subtle de-saturation or very obvious de-saturation depending on my preference.

Dodge tool:The dodge tool has the opposite effect of the burn tool, in that it allows me to lighten certain parts of the image, so I could create very natural gentle highlights. It works in the same way as the sponge in that it doesn't alter the whole image which would be very useful for creating a realistic effect, as I could add light to the image where my light source is coming from, therefore making the lighting look very natural and simplistic. I could also use it for emphasis on certain parts of my image, such as a persons face. I have been taught how to customise this tool also, altering the size of the area it covers as well as the opacity.

Curve tool:The curve tool alters the colour balance of the image, but instead of doing so through shadows highlights and mid tones light the variation tool, this tool modifies the colour balance in the three colour colour spectrum (red, green and blue). I have been taught how to alter the individual balance of each of these colours, so for example I could give the whole image more of a reddish tint, creating a foreboding image. This tool also alters the overall brightness and contrast of whole image, as its depicted in a small graph image, the original starting point as a diagonal line. To change the brightness and contrast I have learnt to simply drag the center line upwards or downwards or dragging individual ends of the line, manipulating its position and creating the curve which will allow me to find the most effective contrast and tone depending on the look I am trying to create.

Clone tool:
I have been shown how to use the clone tool for editing the image, as it appears as a small shape that you fill with whatever colour or aspect of the image as you wish my hovering and clicking. Once it has been filled other parts of the image can be covered with it by clicking where you wish to cover, so this is very good for airbrushing as you would find a sample of the skin, then cover a blemish i.e. spot with it. It will also allow me to edit out objects from my image, allowing me to make an image look more simplistic or realistic.

Magic wand tool:I have taught how to use the magic wand tool, which allows you to remove large sections of the background simply by clicking. Once you've clicked a section will be highlighted with dashes which can then easily be deleted. This will allow me to quickly and easily clear certain parts of the image I don't want and allow me to create the effect I desire.


Lasso tool:The final tool I have been taught to use is the lasso tool, which allows you to remove parts of the image by clicking closely around the object you wish to removes edges, thus creating the same highlighted section which can easily be deleted. The lasso tool works in the same way as the magic wand yet it allows you to remove whole objects that are not of the same colour, e.g. removing a person from an image. Its effective for removing small details however will leave a large gap so for a more natural and realistic effect I will in most cases use the clone tool for removing things from my image, the lasso for cropping out items to go onto my image. 
Layers:
I have also been taught about layers, and how to use them appropriately. I know the importance of creating a new layer for each new element added to my image, which is important because then should I change my mind, or make a mistake I can just delete that individual layer with the change on it rather than erasing the whole image and starting again, so it will save the changes and effects I have added and do like. I can also choose to view certain layers, so I can see my image with anything I've done on it individually or choose certain effects I wish to see. This will allow me to scrutinise my image and ensure I am doing what I think looks most professional and effective. I also know how to duplicate my layers, so I can create clones of certain layers, allowing me to try out different effects on the exact same image so I can see what looks best. Finally I know how to move the layers accordingly so that the features of my image are positioned in the way I want them, for example I can move my text on top of an image, or put part of the image behind etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment